Invitation

I am not an ethicist. Thus, unlike the New York Times column, I do not purport to know the answers. I will post my own as well as those submitted. From time to time I may say what I think but this Blog is primarily for the contributions of others.

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Grading For Cookies



Dear Ethicist:

At my school all students are assigned exam number and we may not know the identity of the students  until grades are handed in. These are, though, preliminary grades and we know which students are which before final grades are submitted. One of the worst grades in my class was earned by a student who is the daughter of a friend of mine and she brings me cookies and milk every day. I would like to adjust her grade upward. I will not have to lower anyone else's grade. Is it unethical for me to raise her grade as a token of gratitude? Suppose it's just because she had had a tough life and I want to give her a chance to improve herself?

Thanks, Grading Master

No comments:

Post a Comment